Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Little Shabby Chic Treasure For Pretty Spring Decor

Hello welcome
to INSPIRE.

Each week, among my design team projects
that I am working on, there lies a pile or two
of "intended" personal projects, just waiting to
be created.

With Sunday being Easter, and with much of the NorthEastern portion of the USA (including my little corner of Ohio) having been stuck with winter conditions far longer than wanted, I wanted to do something with "life".

Enter the paper mache' egg.


This idea struck while combing the aisles
of my local Hobby Lobby & Michael stores, in
search of a "fresh" idea.

So with one 50% off Easter sale at one store, and a great deal of various Easter eggs at another, the idea came to life.

For this project I used:
Gel Medium
Printed Tissue Paper
Heavy White Gesso
Metallic Wax & Paint
Glue
Lace Trim
Ribbon
Moss Ribbon
Miniature Flower Bunch
Mini Stones
Prill Sprays
Butterfly Embellishment
Wooden Candle Stick Holder
2.5" Paper Mache' Egg


Tools used:
Scissors
Craft Knife
Beading Awl
Sanding Block

I began by using my craft knife, to cut out a small portion from the top of the egg.


I then used gesso, and covered the entire egg and candle holder, and let dry thoroughly.

With the tissue paper, I ripped out areas that featured a beautiful floral print, and then applied with gel medium to the surface of the egg.

Using the sanding block, I roughed up the surface of the candle just a bit. to give a weathered look. I then followed by applying and rubbing a pewter colored wax, randomly over the surface of the candle holder.
To finish I used a metallic pink paint, lightly applied with my finger, also randomly over the surface.

Once the tissue paper had set, I used the moss ribbon as a filler to the inside of the egg, secured by glue. 


With the beading awl, made a hole within the moss, and then added the floral spray, with glue to the inside center of the egg.


I pulled a few "tendrils" of the moss the exposed edges of the egg hole, and added a pinch of mini stones around the base of the floral spray with glue.

Final embellishment to the floral, was a small clay Butterly, added to the base of the floral spray.

Using a 3 inch section of some scrap lace trim, I glued it to the top of the candle holder.

To finish, I used some vintage pink ribbon, made into a double bow, centered with a small pearl embellishment to finish.

And what a little lovely to sit on a desk or shelf, to remind me of the beauty that is just around the corner with the awakening of Spring.


Thanks so much for visiting today!

Please stop back by again soon!

Until next time.......BE CRAFTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment