Tuesday, August 22, 2017

My Adventures In Creating New Mixed Media-How To Create Beautiful Texture

Hello & Welcome
to INSPIRE.

What's this? More than one post this week? Why yes! Summer activities have dwindled here for us and has allotted for some much needed creative time.

This new "lull", had me thinking, about my endeavors in finding new ways (to me) to create mixed media art.
It also had me reflecting about the many influences of seasoned MM artists that
I have followed for quite some time,and have learned so much from, and how some of my new discoveries, could be new to another.

So, I have decided to make a project each week, that has me trying new ways of creating, and sharing these new adventures here on my blog.

Here is the first in what I hope is many more creative ideas to share,
a mixed media canvas using used tea bags, vintage sheet music, sprays, Prima/Prima Artists mica powders to create a great textured background for the focal piece of this canvas art, a paper clay flaming heart.


I am new to using paper clay, and patience isn't my greatest trait, lol, but I have discovered that I can let this clay air dry for a certain amount of time, and then bake it at a low temperature for an extended amount of time, and the results are perfection.

As the background goes, I collaged the sheet music with the tea bags, using some to cover the sheet music, while collaging other bits of sheet music on the top of the tea bags, all using clear gesso.


I then used tinted mica powders in a light patina blue & ivory, sprinkled randomly on the surface, followed by sprinkling a metallic mica powder in the same manner. Once powder was in place, I misted each spot with water, made "drip" lines with some, then dried all with my heat tool.

Final step in the background, was using glimmer sprays in darker colors, to add points of interest around the edges & center of the canvas. I also used these to color the lace & burlap used.

Using a mixed media glue, I added the patina'd embellishments including the paper clay flaming heart that I had made, all in which I used a variety of gesso, paint & powders to achieve the aged look.




I have to say, this MM canvas, is my very favorite so far. And the products I used, were just AMAZING in bringing the look together.



Thank you so much for stopping by. 
Please visit again soon!
Until next time, have a creative adventure too!






   

No comments:

Post a Comment